Title: Research Associate J-PAL Office: J-PAL LAC
Earliest Start Date: July 1, 2021
Latest Start Date: July 15, 2021 Commitment length: 6 months
Sector: Finance – Firms – Labor Markets
Position type: Field Research Associate
Education requirement – Bachelor’s, Master’s Language requirement – Spanish, English
J-PAL office for Latin America and the Caribbean (LAC) is seeking to hire a Research Associate to work in Chile on an impact evaluation of the program “Impulso Chileno” in partnership with Luksic Foundation. The position requires working directly with Luksic Foundation, J-PAL affiliated professor Claudia Martínez A., and other J-PAL LAC Staff to develop an impact evaluation for an entrepreneurship program that provides funding and mentorship to medium-sized firms. This position is based in Chile.
The Research Associate will work closely with academic researchers, the J-PAL research team in Chile, and the Foundation to perform a variety of tasks including, but not limited to: designing implementation and IRB protocols, designing survey questionnaires, managing survey teams, negotiating contracts with survey firms, checking and analyzing data, cleaning data and assisting in the preliminary data analysis, assisting in the writing of the design of evaluation of the program, and coordinating with the local partner running the program under evaluation.
The person is expected to work remotely for now and in Chile after the end of the Covid-19 crisis.
Our commitment to diversity and inclusion
Embracing diversity, equity, and inclusion is essential to address the complex causes and consequences of poverty. To advance our mission, J-PAL LAC must draw on diverse experiences from our staff and affiliated researchers in order to ask better questions and identify better solutions. We are working to increase the limited representation of individuals from underrepresented backgrounds in the economics profession. We are committed to engaging in self-reflection, learning, and dialogue to nurture understanding across differences. Together, we will build an equitable, inclusive culture where everyone is respected, empowered, and heard.
Responsibilities include (but are not limited to)
- Maintain and grow effective relationships with partner
- Prepare documentation regarding IRB protocols of the
- Design implementation
- Oversee and lead the field research activities such as the baseline data collection, according to the research design in coordination with
- Design survey questionnaires and refine the study design of the
- Hire, train, and manage the field teams that will conduct the data
- Supervise data collection and apply protocols to ensure the good quality of the
- Assist with data cleaning and preliminary data
- Provide periodic updates on project activities to PIs, manager, and J-PAL LAC staff in
- Ensure that project activities are on schedule according to agreements with
- Prepare project
- Any other work assigned by Principal
- One or more years of working experience in research projects, experience in data collection processes is highly
- A Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in economics, public policy, public administration, statistics or related technical fields including training in microeconomics, econometrics, statistics, and
- Strong quantitative, organizational, data analysis, and communication skills are
- Excellent oral and written communications skills in Spanish and
- Experience managing relationships with partner organizations is highly
- High level of STATA knowledge, or another statistical program (R, python).
- Familiarity with randomized controlled trials and impact evaluation methodologies is
- Flexible, self-motivating, able to manage multiple tasks efficiently with limited supervision, and team
This is a remote consultant position and is not eligible for any type of visa sponsorship. The person is expected to work remotely for now and in Chile after the end of the Covid-19 crisis.
Work permissions – Yes, in the country where they are based.
How to Apply
If you are interested, please follow the next steps:
- In the subject line: Include your full name: first (given) name followed by last (family)
- Attachments: Please attach in a single PDF:
- One-page cover letter clearly stating your qualifications for the various responsibilities and reasons for your interest in J-PAL (in Spanish);
- Your curriculum vitae (resume), and
- Transcripts of your undergraduate and graduate courses (including course names and grades).
- In the email body: Copy exactly the following line: Research Associate, Impulso Chileno,
Please do not include any text besides the position line(s) in the body of the e-mail. Adding extra text will interfere with the processing of your application. Given the volume of applications received, only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.
PI/Supervisor: Claudia Martínez A.
Name of person requesting job posting followed by all reviewers who are to be notified of the job posting and who will have review access in the J-PAL/IPA Jobs Database, if applicable. *
Email of recruiter (and all reviewers listed above) * Application deadline: June 25, 2021
Descripción en español:
La oficina de J-PAL para América Latina y el Caribe (LAC) busca contratar a un Analista de Investigación para trabajar en Chile en una evaluación de impacto del programa “Impulso Chileno” junto a la Fundación Luksic. El puesto requiere trabajar directamente con la Fundación Luksic, la profesora afiliada a J-PAL Claudia Martínez A. y personal de J-PAL LAC con el objetivo de realizar una evaluación de impacto para un programa de emprendimiento que brinda financiamiento y tutoría a empresas medianas. Esta posición está basada en Chile.
La Analista de Investigación trabajará en estrecha colaboración con investigadores académicos, el equipo de investigación de J-PAL en Chile y la Fundación para realizar una variedad de tareas que incluyen, entre otras: diseñar cuestionarios de encuestas, administrar equipos de encuestas, negociar contratos con
empresas de encuestas, verificar y analizar datos, limpiar datos y ayudar en el análisis preliminar de datos, colaborar en la redacción del diseño de la evaluación del programa y coordinar con la contraparte local que ejecuta el programa en evaluación.